GCH Recipes 2 – Chocolate Mousse
Who doesn’t like a good pudding after dinner, and who doesn’t like chocolate mousse!!
This is one of our most popular desserts and is a main stay on the menus; making use of the oranges growing in the GCH garden. Of course other seasonal fruit can be substituted depending on the time of year, such as strawberries or fresh cherries.
Bitter chocolate and orange mousse
- 165g dark chocolate, 70%, grated
- 240g (8) egg whites
- 40g caster sugar (or 20g fructose)
- 2 oranges
- Whipped cream
- 20 g Sugar
- Melt the grated chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, for 10 mins or so. Then turn the heat off.
- In an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk the egg whites and sugar until they form soft but firm peaks.
- Then, to make your work easy, place the mixing bowl with the egg white on your worktop with a large spatula by its side.
- Remove the bowl of melted chocolate from the bain-marie, place it next to the bowl of egg white and have a whisk ready by its side. Now you must work fast. Scoop a third of the egg white into the melted chocolate and whisk the egg white in; this will lighten the chocolate mixture for further incorporation of the egg white.
- Now you take your time. Delicately fold in the remaining egg white using the spatula.
- Using a fine grater or zester, zest your oranges into the mousse and gently fold
- Spoon mousse into serving bowl of choice, you can either serve individually in glasses, or in a large bowl to be served in the middle of the table. fill to about 2/3 full
- In separate mixing bowl whisk the cream with the sugar till soft peaks form
- Spoon over the top of the mouse
Come and sample the food and famous GCH hospitality for your self and enjoy some fabulous cycling while you are at it
The variety of dishes, the quantities and quality of the evening meals was excellentJames Grimshaw, Dec 2019